Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Swinging with the Flappers




Cherry Poppin Daddies
Zoot Suit Riot
1997, Space Age Bachelor Pad
produced by Steve Perry (not the guy from Journey)

singles-
  • Zoot Suit Riot/No Mercy for Swine
  • Brown Derby Jump
  • Here Comes the Snake
This really wasn't my thing.  I had a buddy in high school who was into this sort of stuff, learned how to swing dance too.  The single was catchy, had radio play, so I bought the album.  I think it wasn't what I really was expecting and I shelved it for years.  But the album is well done.  A showcase of swing era sounds done by a ska band.  Picture smoke filled speak-easys, an energetic band with a horn section, wise guys from the Mob making deals in the corner, and perhaps Jim Carey dancing like a fool dressed like the Mask.  That's what this album sounds like.

No comments:

Post a Comment