Wednesday, January 23, 2013

This has Nothing to do with Your Poker Face


Spoon
Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
2007, Merge/Anti-
produced by Mike McCarthy, Jon Brion

Britt Daniel - guitar, vocals
Jim Eno - drums
Rob Pope - bass
Eric Harvey - piano, keyboards

singles - 
  • The Underdog/ It took a Rumor to Make me Wonder, Now I'm Afraid I'm Going Under
  • Don't You Evah'/ All I Got is Me
Some people may remember this band from the early '90s when it was a pseudo-punk, garage rock band that shared the same sound as bands like Pavement and the Pixies.  Eventually, their sound changed into something more melodic and listenable, but still retaining the interesting experimental rhythms that were all the rage in the 90's but now are more refined.  This is also the first time the band cracked the top 40 on the Billboard 200, debuting at number 10.  I like this album better than their others, The Underdog is a great pop song, complete with a horn section and clever rhythms.  I do love horns in rock songs!

Ghost of You is the only song I dislike, and my issue is more with how it was placed on the album than the song itself.  Placing a soft, miserable little song like that second on the album among rocking more pop-heavy tracks breaks up the flow a little bit.  Whoever is responsible for that should be shot.

clear red vinyl!

No comments:

Post a Comment