Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bourbon, Scotch, Beer

John Lee Hooker
The Best of John Lee Hooker 1965-1974
1992, Universal

I know,  I know, it is a best-of album, and most of the time best-of albums ought to be avoided at all costs.

However, sometimes they are a good idea, especially if it's an artist one is trying to get into and learn more about. The exception to this good idea is the GratefulDead. I've said this before, do not buy best-of Grateful Dead albums, you'll be cheated.  

Anyway, this particular John Lee Hooker album is great. Not only does it have good recordings of some classics like Boom Boom Boom, and One Bourbon One Scotch and One Beer, it also has a pretty excellent track with Van Morrison. Unfortunately, my copy is scratched and all the tracks work, except the Van Morrison track. Just my luck. And I can't even buy that one online, as it is an album exclusive. Bastards!

No comments:

Post a Comment