Wednesday, September 21, 2011

I May Have to Turn in my Man Card


Jewel
Pieces of You
1995, Atlantic
produced by Ben Keith

singles-
  • Who Will Save Your Soul
  • You were Meant for Me
  • Foolish Games
I think by now, if you've been reading the rest of my posts, it is no secret that I like folk music. With that being said, this a pretty good folk album. This is Jewel's debut album, and probably her best. I'm not sure, because I only bought this one.

I'm sure most people would write about the honesty of the music. I'm pretty sure that's an abstract term used by critics who like the music and can't tell people why. I really don't know what honest music is, basically because if music can be honest, than it can also lie, and that's not possible. Instead, I would describe this album as being sweet, and moving. Her voice disarms, making even everyday things sound beautiful, and I think that is where this honesty thing comes from. You believe, when listening, that not only is Jewel revealing a part of herself in these songs, but also opening a window into the struggle of what it is like to be a girl, and what it's like to be disenfranchised in America. This is an album for feminist scholars everywhere. I'm sure they appreciate it, and hate it at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment