Monday, July 11, 2011

I Got Your Voodoo Right Here



Screaming Jay Hawkins
I Shake My Stick at You
1991, Aim Records
produced by Peter Noble

I like the blues.  A lot.  So much that I like to go back and find old school stuff to experience it first hand.  Much of my time in college was spent prowling old record stores for cheap music from old genres, and this album is one of those purchases.  

Screaming Jay Hawkins is best known for his one true hit I Put a Spell on You.  This dude is straight up bayou voodoo badassery.  Much more of a lowdown crass dirty sound than Dr. John's more well known brand of creole blues.  Critics have remarked that the Screaming Jay Hawkins style was borrowed heavily by other artists who became more popular as a result.  

However, Screaming Jay Hawkins did have a hugely successful live career.  He is given credit as being the godfather of shock rock, his over-the-top voodoo themed live shows helped influence other bands and stage acts like Alice Cooper, Kiss, Gwar, and Marilyn Manson.  

This is a later release for Hawkins and isn't very memorable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment